NYE 2015

I spent my New Years Eve in Philadelphia with two of my best friends from college. It was a last minute decision to head up there but I am so glad I did! One of Corrin’s friends rented out the top floor of a bar a few blocks away from where she lives and it was only $58 for all-you-can-drink. I don’t know about you, but most open bar type shindigs for NYE tend be upwards of 75-150 dollars most of the time, so I thought this was a great deal.

I arrived in Philly on Tuesday afternoon and spent the day studying until Corrin got off work. When she arrived home, we headed out to the grocery store to pick up supplies for NYE dinner and snacks/dinner for the night. The rest of the night was spent catching up in front of the TV and relaxing on the couch.


New Year’s Eve started out with breakfast of egg sandwiches before walking a few blocks to Flywheel for a free spin class! I had never done a spin class before, so I wasn’t sure what to expect. I knew my rear end would be sore and that I would sweat like crazy – both were accurate.



I got a little bit of anxiety right before the class started and as we were getting settled in to our bikes. I didn’t like that we were wearing shoes that clipped in – I didn’t like that I couldn’t change my position of where my foot fell on the pedal. Also, we were crammed in to a dark room with about 35 people – hello, lack of personal space. But once we got moving, it was awesome! I wasn’t sure where I was supposed to be at on the torque and power stuff at first so I was just going with what felt good… Until the instructor yelled that we should be around power 15, and I was at 6. Hahaha, whoops. Up the torque! Overall it was an amazing work out and I loved it! But man is my butt still feeling it from that seat! I’m not a huge fan of biking/cycling, mainly because of the uncomfortable seat, but this class was such a good work out it definitely will make me consider doing more classes in the future at my gym!

Once we ate lunch, showered and napped, we were ready to dig in to our dinner that was in the crockpot all day – pork tenderloin, sweet potatoes and carrots with rosemary, garlic and balsamic vinegar.

IMG_4863 IMG_4864

We were so happy with how it turned out – delicious! And we didn’t have to spend a lot of money going out to dinner which was awesome. Once we were dressed up and ready to go, we hit the road to Corrin’s friend’s house to pre-game the bar.


This managed to be one of the only pictures that we took all night, unfortunately. But we all looked great! I did manage a selfie with Corrin…


The night at the bar was your typical NYE open bar party – casually chugging vodka sodas as if the bar was going to run out of alcohol. No regrets. I was definitely feeling it Thursday morning, but I think it was more of the lack of sleep. We had places to go on New Years Day though, so after a round of coffees, egg and pork roll sandwiches, and showers, we were out the door.


We were headed to the Mummer’s Parade down Broad Street! I had never heard of this before, not being from PA/Philly, but apparently its a huge tradition every year on New Years. From my viewpoint: a bunch of drunk grown men (and women and not-drunk-children) wearing face paint and sequins parading down the street. For more (accurate) information, click on the link up there and check it out. It was a lot of fun being able to walk down the street and check out the parade. So many people lined the street, hundreds of performers danced and had a good time as they headed down Broad Street, and food trucks caught the attention of us hungover folk.

IMG_4875 IMG_4878 IMG_4883 IMG_4876

One of our good friends from Salisbury let us know that he was out in Philly and was just a few blocks away, so we went to meet up with him! It was so great to see him and meet his fiancé and other friends. And we took a selfie…


After a few hours of being out in the cold, walking around and dancing with the Mummers, we decided it was time to head back to Corrin’s apartment. The rest of the night looked a lot like this:


Ordering pizza and a burger from Santucci’s (delivery, of course, because there was no way we were getting off that couch to walk around the corner…). And lots of movies: Bridesmaids, Just Friends, and some movie I had never heard of that I fell asleep during. We went to sleep early and I was up by 7:30 and home by 10:30! It took me just over two hours to get home – not too bad for a typical two and a half to three hour drive. (I like to drive fast.)

Overall, it was a great few days of fun and relaxation with some of my best friends  before I get started with clinic on Monday! I’m feeling pretty nervous about getting started, but I know once I’m in there it will be just fine! I’ll be back next week to let you know how the first few days go!

Happy 2015 y’all! It’s definitely going to be one for the books.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s